Thursday, March 19, 2020

Best First Round NCAA Tournament Games (That I Watched and Remember)

No basketball today.  It's depressing.  I hate it.  To give a little basketball to everyone's lives I'm ranking my fall time favorite first round games.  I'm sure I missed some (as these are off the top of my head) so please share your favorites.  I'll count down from 10.

10.  14 Weber State over 3 UNC (1999)- We'll start with an upset I remember watching on my mini TV in my bedroom.  It was a late night game.  I was in 8th grade.  Harold "The Show" Arceneaux just took over. 


9.  13 UNCW over 4 USC (2002) -  A sentimental favorite for me as my dad went to UNCW and always followed them.  Brett Blizzard and Craig Callahan made this a team that could win a tournament game and they did in a great, exciting battle with USC.  



8.  6. Maryland over 11. UNCW (2003)-  They were back a second straight year and looked headed for another NCAA tournament win when Drew Nichols broke my heart.  Amazing game and end.  I watched it at a high school party my senior year.  



7.  9. UAB over 8. Washington (2004)-  The only game I couldn't find footage of.  The final score was 102 to 100.  It ended in regulation.  UAB put up 51 each half.  One of the most exciting, up and down basketball games I remember watching.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=244000048

6.  13. Vermont over 4 Syracuse (2005) -  "OHHHHHHH!  MY GOODNESS!  SORRENTINE, HIT THAT ONE FROM THE PARKING LOT!" --- Gus Johnson



5.  8. Cincinnati over 9. Purdue (2015)-  UC winning a tournament game they never seem to win.  Down late, game seemingly lost and they make every play down the stretch including a buzzer beating Caupain layup to force OT.  



4.  11. VCU over 6. Duke (2007) -  One of my toughest omissions was when Lehigh beat Duke, but this one really sticks out.  Eric Maynor was awesome for VCU and drilled the game winner with 1.8 to play.  



3.  13. Valparaiso over 4. Mississippi (1998) - I stayed late at school and walked home to watch the end of this one.  Everyone knows it.  The homerun play to Bryce Drew. 



2.  15. Hampton over 2. Iowa State (2001)-  Capping off a crazy dame in Boise.  Ending with the image of their coach kicking his legs in the air being held up by his celebrating player.  



1.  14. Georgia State over 3. Baylor (2015)- Down 10 with under 2 minutes left.  Georgia State mounts a furious comeback capped off by RJ Hunter from deep while an injured coach Ron Hunter falls out of his chair.  


No comments: