Thursday, March 12, 2020

Pre-Selection Bracket Projection 2020



I’d be stunned if there was a tournament next week.  I’d be surprised if there is a tournament at all.  However, if there is a tournament (either starting next week or eventually) here is my prediction for what the field will look like:

One Seeds:         Kansas, Gonzaga, Dayton, Baylor
Two Seeds:         San Diego State, Creighton, Florida State, Duke
Three Seeds:     Kentucky, Michigan State, Seton Hall, Oregon
Four Seeds:        Wisconsin, Villanova, Louisville, Maryland
Five Seeds:         Ohio State, Penn State, Auburn, Butler
Six Seeds:            BYU, Illinois, Houston, Colorado
Seven Seeds:     West Virginia, Iowa, Virginia, St Marys,
Eight Seeds:       Arizona, Michigan, Providence, USC
Nine Seeds:        Marquette, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma
Ten Seeds:          ETSU, UCLA, Arizona State, Utah State
11 Seeds:             Rutgers, Cincinnati, Texas Tech, NC State/Texas
12 Seeds:             Richmond/Wichita State, Stephen F. Austin, Yale, Liberty
13 Seeds:             Akron, Vermont, North Texas, Belmont
14 Seeds:             UC Irvine, NM State, North Dakota State, Hofstra
15 Seeds:             Eastern Washington, Little Rock, NKU, Bradley
16 Seeds:             Winthrop, Boston, Siena/NC Central, Prairie View A&M/Robert Morris

Last 4 In:  NC State, Richmond, Wichita State, Texas
First Four Out:  Mississippi State, Stanford, Xavier Purdue
Next Four Out:  Northern Iowa, Saint Louis, South Carolina, Memphis
Others Considered: Arkansas, Rhode Island, Alabama, Tennessee, Syracuse, Tulsa

I have 36 teams I think are definitely in the tournament as of today (not including teams that have already won their at large bids).  Those are every team seeded on the first 8 seed lines, plus every nine seed except Oklahoma.  I think Oklahoma, Arizona State and Rutgers are almost certain to be in as well, but I’m not willing to put it at the likelihood of the other 36. 

That leaves 10 teams I think the committee could theoretically choose as of today for the remaining 6 spots.  Those teams are:  UCLA, Texas Tech, NC State, Richmond, Wichita State, Texas, Mississippi State, Stanford, Xavier and Northern Iowa.  I actually think the committee will overseed UCLA, but I have them on this list because I think they COULD go the other way (They have things the committee traditionally values, but real holes that justify leaving them out).  I have Purdue over Northern Iowa on my First Four Out, but I think Northern Iowa is more likely to make the tournament.  Basically they have things the committee might value that are unique, whereas Purdue has things that other bubble teams did better.

No comments: